RETURN OF THE TUNDRA SWANS
In March, upwards of 15,000 Tundra Swans return to their favourite resting grounds – the Thedford Bog – located east of Lambton Heritage Museum just south of Grand Bend. The Museum runs Tundra Swan exhibits throughout March. Exact dates when the swans return is entirely up to Mother Nature.
Tundra Swans winter in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland returning via a 3,000km flight to their summer breeding grounds in Canada’s Arctic every spring. They stop to rest and feed on remnants of last year’s crops. Much honking and squawking and small-group v-formation flying can be witnessed on the still-flooded farmland.
Bring binoculars to view the swans from Greenway Road. The best viewing time is in the morning. Swan updates and news: ReturnOfTheSwans.com.
319+ VARIETIES OF BIRD SPECIES
Fall or spring seasons bring migratory bird populations which include: Common and Red-throated loons, numerous Raptors, Snowy Owls and the Tundra Swans. Summer provides opportunity to observe American Coot, Scarlett Tanagers, Baltimore Orioles, Cerulean Warblers, Pine Grosbeaks, Bohemian Waxwings, Great Blue Herons and over 200 other species of birds. In the winter, Horned Larks, Downy Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, American Goldfinch and Red-tailed Hawks are common. Bald Eagles have been spotted along the Shoreline from Port Franks to Grand Bend and water areas provide observation of a great diversity of waterfowl, in all seasons.
- Ausable Bayfield Conservation Authority – abca.on.ca
- Lambton Wildlife Blog – lambtonwildlife.com
- Lambton Shores Nature Trailblazers – lsntblazers.com
- Ontario Field Ornithologists – ofo.ca
- Pinery Park – pinerypark.on.ca/what-lives-in-pinery/
- Clair Region Conservation Authority – scrca.on.ca
- Return of the Tundra Swans, Grand Bend – March 9-17, 2019
- Migration Weekend, Pinery Provincial Park (Grand Bend) – May 17-20, 2019
- Owl Prowl, Morrison Dam, Exeter – November 2, 2019
- Christmas Bird Count, Pinery Provincial Park – December 21, 2019
See Festivals & Events for dates, times and details.